Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge is situated just outside Uganda’s beautiful Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, only 500 meter from the start of the gorilla trekking trail! Built and run on sound ecological principles, the Bwindi Lodge uses natural energy sources such as solar power and controls water consumption to reduce its environmental footprint.
Bwindi Lodge is one the lodges owned and operated by Volcanoes Safaris, a leading luxury lodge company in both Rwanda and Uganda. Other lodges include Mount Gahinga Lodge near Mgahinga Gorilla National Park and Kyambura Gorge Lodge in Queen Elizabeth National Park in Uganda, and Virunga Lodge in Rwanda near Volcanoes National Park.
The company is also adding another luxurious lodge called Kibale Lodge on the fringes of Kibale Forest National Park and it will start operating in 2024. In 2023 alone, Volcano Safaris have won a series of award including Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, Condé Nast Traveller Readers’ Choice Awards and Marie Claire Sustainability Award.
Access and Location:
Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge is located in the Buhoma Sector of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. This sector has at least 5 habituated mountain gorilla families that live in the thick, damp tropical undergrowth. Tracking them on foot is relatively challenging but the rewards are great.
Home also to monkeys and countless butterflies and forest birds, this pocket of primeval forest is one of the most biologically diverse areas on Earth and has been designated a Natural World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge can be reached via a drive of round 9 to 10 hours from Kampala city.
The lodge may also be accessed via flight from Entebbe International Airport (1 hour) or road transfer from Kigali (6 hours). Bwindi Lodge is set within pleasant grounds, and boasts amazing views overlooking Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. From Queen Elizabeth National Park you can take a 15-minute flight or a 6-hour drive through the park.
Accommodation at Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge
The guest accommodation at Bwindi Lodge consists of 10 bandas. The bandas has 8 standard rooms (6 doubles and 2 twins) and 2 deluxe bandas (2 doubles).
All are constructed using timber, stone, and thatch.
Each banda is named after a Bwindi gorilla! Every banda is attractively furnished, with a double bed or twin beds, bedside lighting (240v), a lounge area, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, twin washbasins, and solar-heated shower providing hot and cold running water.
At the front, there is a spacious balcony set with a small table and a couple of chairs. Here, you can take time in the morning or between activities to relax with a drink and admire beautiful views of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. You might spot some of the area’s colourful birdlife, a monkey, or even a gorilla, staring straight back at you!
Facilities at Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge
- Communal spaces: The communal spaces at Volcanoes Bwindi occupy a timber, stone, and thatch building.
- Lounge areas: The lounge at Bwindi Lodge contains plenty of comfortable seating around coffee tables, as well as a cozy fireplace where guests tend to gather every evening to talk about their mountain gorilla adventures!
- Dining area: The dining area at Bwindi lodge is elegantly furnished and adjoins the homely bar.
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi is available throughout the lodge, but it is not entirely reliable!
- Viewing deck, gift shop and massage room: Outside, there is a terrace that makes a fantastic viewing deck, while a gift shop and a massage room are located a short stroll away within the grounds. After a day’s gorilla trek you can have a well-deserved massage, buy a souvenir at the safari shop,
- Bwindi Bar: Take a short walk, into the high street of the nearby village, and you reach Bwindi Bar. Run by Volcanoes Safaris Partnership Trust, this bar offers opportunities for local young people at Bwindi to train in hospitality. Bwindi Bar offers a great selection of food and drink, and is well worth a visit!
Dining at Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge
At Bwindi Lodge fresh healthy meals combining local cuisine and Western tastes are served in the dining room or on the veranda accompanied by dramatic views across the valley. And after a strenuous day of trekking through the rainforest, there are few things better than a refreshing drink enjoyed at the bar and lounge area while gazing out at the dense forest below.
Activities to do while staying at Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge
- Gorilla trekking
- Visit the award-winning Bwindi Bar
- Take a tour around the tea plantations
- Take a scenic walk to the river below the lodge
- Waterfall walk hike and Munyanga River Trail
- Rushurra Hill/Border Trail
- Muzabajirro Loop Trail
- Visit Bwindi Community Hospital
- Visit Conservation through Public Health headquarters (Dr. Gladys Kalema’s laboratory)
- Spend some time at the spa for a rejuvenating treatment
Bwindi Lodge High Season Rates 2024
- $1100 – per person sharing
- $1325 – single occupancy
- $1440 – per person sharing
- $1725 – single occupancy
- $50 – per person sharing
- $50 – single occupancy
Bwindi Lodge Low Season Rates 2024
- $1030 – per person sharing
- $1030 – single occupancy
- $1230 – per person sharing
- $1230 – single occupancy
- $50 – per person sharing
- $50 – single occupancy
Note: Low season rates are applicable to bookings from 1 October to 14 December and 1 March to 31 May.
Resident Rates For Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge
International Guest Terms
- Rates are inclusive of current government taxes, which may be subject to change without notice.
- The rates above include accommodation and meals, house alcoholic drinks, premium drinks (except French champagne), soft drinks, laundry services, any activities at the lodges, massage and spa treatments (subject to booking and availability).
- All guests staying at the lodge are required to pay $50 community fees per person per night.
- Low season rates are applicable to bookings from 1 October to 14 December and 1 March to 31 May.
Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge Child Policy
- Children of 16 years and under staying in the same room as their parents pay US $100 per child per night.
- Children under 5 years stay for free.
Special Offers at Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge
- Book Bwindi Lodge and Kyambura Gorge Lodge combined for 4 nights and get the 5th night free.
- Book 2 nights at Kyambura Gorge Lodge or Mt. Gahinga Lodge and get 50% discount on the 3rd night.