Crater Safari Lodge is strategically located on the beautiful shores of Nyinabulitwa Crater Lake close to Kibale National Park. This Uganda safaris lodge is surrounded by the rich foliage and blends perfectly with its surrounding landscape.
Crater Safari Lodge places safari-goers in prime position to trek for wild chimpanzees in Kibale Forest National Park. It has a lovely swimming pool with shaded loungers for relaxing. It is an eco-friendly lodge that uses solar power for lighting and heating water for showers.
Access And Location
- Crater Safari Lodge is located approximately 315 kilometers/ 5-hour drive from Kampala.
- Entebbe city and Entebbe International Airport (EBB) is about 336 kilometers/6 hour drive from Crater Safari Lodge.
- Fort Portal Town is 29 minute drive from the lodge.
- Crater Safari Lodge about 7 kilometers from Kibale Forest National Park gate, which is approximately 10-15 minutes’ drive away.
- Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary is about 10 minutes (26km) drive from Crater safari.
- Queen Elizabeth National Park is 30 minutes (50km) drive from Crater Safari Lodge.
The quickest way to get to Crater Safari Lodge is by air. You can fly into the main Entebbe International Airport (EBB) and catch a connecting domestic flight to Kasese Town. From Kasese, a road transfer to the lodge can be arranged and will take approximately 2 hours.
Read more about flying safaris in Uganda.
Accommodation At Crater Safari Lodge
Crater Safari Lodge is a luxury accommodation option in the Kibale Forest National Park. The lodge has been designed in such a way that it does not intrude on its pristine surrounds.
For the duration of your Uganda safari trip in Kibale or Fort Portal Town you can book one of the 10 standard pool facing cabanas with partial crater views, 8 deluxe chalets that are crater facing or 6 deluxe chalets are in the gardens with a partial crater view.
Double and single bed configurations are the two options available. There are also two family cottages with inter-leading rooms and sleep four.
The deluxe thatched chalets have expansive wooden balconies, or pool facing standard cabana rooms. Thatched chalets with expansive wooden balconies provide the perfect luxurious jungle escape. Rooms, whether deluxe or standard, provide the perfect luxurious escape.
All accommodation has partial or full views of the tranquil Crater Lake and its pristine surrounds. Hammocks and garden swings on the grounds of the lodge add an extra element of tranquility to your remote safari experience.
Facilities At Crater Safari Lodge
Lounge, bar, and dining area: The central area is an expansive wooden area housing an open-plan lounge with balcony, dining area and intimate bar area.
There are massive couches in the relaxation area that have views extending across the lush lawns, chalets and Crater Lake. The lounge flows through to the dining area and tea/coffee station, where many tranquil evenings are spent sampling local fare.
Swimming pool and gardens: Escape the African afternoon heat with a cooling dip in the swimming pool, or bring a good book and lounge in a cabana surrounded by lush manicured gardens. There is also a pool service at your disposal – kick back, relax and order a drink from our friendly staff.
Luxury Mobile Spa: Treat yourself to a relaxing massage and spa treatment without leaving the privacy of your room. Crater Safari Lodge also offers Wi-Fi in the lounge, a babysitting service and laundry.
Dining At Crater Safari Lodge
At Crater Safari Lodge, you cab enjoy wholesome meals served in the restaurant located in the lounge area. The lodge offers lovely 3-course meals in several places like the outside deck or beside the pool. Optional lunch or romantic dinner by the lake shore can be organized on request.
Crater Safari Lodge chef also offers packed lunches to take along on your forest chimpanzee trekkibng tours. In the evenings, the staff lights a boma campfire, where you can sip drinks and interact with your fellow safari vacationers, sharing stories about your primate safaris and bird viewing excursions in Uganda.
Children Policy At Crater Safari Lodge
- Children aged 4 and younger stay free of charge
- Children aged 5 – 12 pay 50% of the adult rate when sharing with adults
- Children aged 5 – 12 pay 70% of the adult rate when staying in own room
- Children aged 13 and over are considered adults and pay the adult rate
- The minimum age for chimpanzee trekking is 12 years
3rd Adult Sharing
- A 3rd adult sharing a chalet with an additional bed will pay 75% of the adult rate.
Honeymoon At Crater Safari Lodge
Crater Safari Lodge is one of the best places to stay during your honeymoon holiday in Uganda. And when you stay here on your honeymoon, one partner receives a 50% discount off the accommodation costs for their stay. The stay includes a complimentary romantic, private dinner served on their private deck.
Activities To Do While Staying At Crater Safari Lodge
There are several activities in Kibale Forest National Park to suit all interests.
- The main activity on offer is chimpanzee tracking on foot, which takes place in the nearby Kibale Foot National Park.
- You can also go for half or full day chimpanzee habituation experience (booking essential and a permit is required)
- Take a scenic hike to the “Top of the World” viewpoint to view the 9 crater lakes in the area
- Enjoy a guided birding walks/birding tours to Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary and Kibale Forest National Park
- Canoe hire
- Romantic bush dinner set-up on the shores of the lake
- Fishing rod hire
- General nature walks around the lake
- Visit the nine crater lakes in the immediate area
- Cultural activities (basket weaving) and community visits (schools and markets)
- Trips to surrounding tea and coffee plantations can also be organized
- Guided cycling tours to Kibale forest, the crater lakes and tea plantations. Gear and mountain bikes provided.
- Tour Fort Portal town, Tooro King’s Palace
- Visit Amabeere Ga Nyinamwiru Cave and hike the nearby crater lake field
- Take a day trip to Queen Elizabeth National Park for big game viewing