Mount Gahinga Lodge makes up a part of the Volcanoes Safaris portfolio that also includes Virunga Lodge, Kyambura Gorge Lodge, Bwindi Lodge, and Kibale Lodge.
Mount Gahinga Lodge is located in the foothills of the volcanic Virunga Mountains, on the edge of Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in the farthest south-west corner of Uganda and is a tranquil and secluded safari escape. This Uganda safaris park is home to mountain gorillas, rare golden monkeys, atmospheric bamboo forests and the sacred Ngarama Cave, which was once home to the king of the Batwa Pygmies.
Against a stunning backdrop of three extinct volcanoes, this exclusive-use safari lodge is set in a beautiful landscape of gardens and has rustic bandas designed to fit seamlessly into the natural environment.
How to Get to Mount Gahinga Lodge
Mount Gahinga Lodge is about 510 kilometers/317 miles from Kampala (at least 9 hours’ drive*) and it can be reached by road from Queen Elizabeth National Park (around 3–4 hours’ drive) or Lake Mburo National Park (5 to 7 hours’ drive).
Your point of entry into Uganda is Entebbe International Airport (EBB), located about 46km / 29 miles from the capital city of Uganda, Kampala.
It is possible to take a domestic flight from Entebbe to Kisoro. The flight takes around 1 hour and 45 minutes, followed by a drive of approximately 15 kilometres.
Accommodation at Mount Gahinga Lodge
- Mount Gahinga Lodge is inspired by traditional design and building techniques.
- This safari lodge contains 8 unique hand built bandas.
- The bandas reflect the magic of the aesthetic traditions of the local Bufimbira people.
- Each banda faces the Virunga Volcanoes. All features stone walls and a papyrus roof.
- Each banda is named after a Virunga volcano!
- 2 are deluxe rooms, 4 bandas feature a double bed, and 2 contain twin beds.
- Room features include bedside tables and lighting, a chunky storage chest, and a cozy stone fireplace.
- Rooms have well-appointed en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, and shower with hot and cold running water.
- Every banda also benefits from a lovely private veranda.
Facilities at Mount Gahinga Lodge
- The bandas are connected to the main lodge along neat pathways.
- The main lodge is made out of stone and thatch too.
- Inside the main lodge, there is an open-plan lounge and dining area, with well-cushioned wicker sofas and armchairs, a long table flanked by upright chairs for communal meals, and a large central fireplace.
- This space extends into a comfy sun room, which boasts amazing views of the volcanoes and surrounding landscape!
- Guests can also marvel at the scenery from Mount Gahinga’s terrace.
- Wi-Fi is available throughout the lodge, but it can be unreliable.
- In a separate building, there is a great little gift shop, perfect for purchasing souvenirs.
- There is a massage room too, for a spot of pampering in between trips into the national park!
- Every guest receives a free massage.
- A personal butler service and complimentary laundry service are available to all guests.
- Power sockets/charging facilities.
- Hair dryers are available in the rooms.
Activities to Do While Staying At Mount Gahinga Lodge
- Trek the Nyakagezi family of mountain gorillas and track the rare golden monkeys in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park.
- Enjoy complimentary massages and spa treatments, including the famous Rungu massage at the Gushimisha Spa & Sauna.
- Keen birders will enjoy looking out for hundreds of species, not least specials such as olive woodpecker and scarlet-tufted malachite sunbird.
- If you are feeling super-fit, you can climb any or all of the Virunga volcanoes – Gahinga, Sabyinyo, and Muhavura.
- Travellers seeking less strenuous exercise will enjoy hiking in the Kisozi Caldera, less than one kilometre from the lodge.
- Cultural experiences are also on offer. You can visit the Gahinga Batwa Village and share the culture of the oldest inhabitants of the Central African rainforest.
Mount Gahinga High Season Rates 2024
- $1185– per person sharing
- $1420 – single occupancy
- $1540 – per person sharing
- $1850– single occupancy
- $50 – per person sharing
- $50 – single occupancy
Mount Gahinga Lodge Low Season Rates 2024
- $710 – per person sharing
- $710 – single occupancy
- $930 – per person sharing
- $930 – single occupancy
- $50 – per person sharing
- $50 – single occupancy
Note: Low season rates are applicable to bookings from 1 October to 14 December and 1 March to 31 May.
Resident Rates for Mount Gahinga Lodge
For rates for East African residents as well as bona fide conservation Organisations please contact us.
International Guest Terms
- Rates include current government taxes, which may be subject to change without notice.
- The rates above include accommodation and meals, house alcoholic drinks, premium drinks (except French champagne), soft drinks, laundry services, any activities at the lodges, massage and spa treatments
- All guests staying at the lodge are required to pay $50 community fees per person per night.
Mount Gahinga Lodge Child Policy
- Children are welcome at Mount Gahinga Lodge, but only those aged 15 years and older are permitted to take part in mountain gorilla trekking.
- However, as the property offers a wealth of other exciting activities, there is something for travellers of all ages to enjoy.
- Children of 16 years and under staying in the same room as their parents pay US $100 per child per night.
- Children under 5 years stay for free.