Wondering what are the things to do in Mauritius? Well on this page, we have compiled a list of some of the best things to do and activities in Mauritius that you perhaps didn’t even know about. Many people think that Mauritius is primarily a honeymoon destination and that travellers come here for the sun and the beach. That is partially correct.
But there is so much more to do in Mauritius than simply lazing on the beach! Whether you’re in Mauritius for a romantic honeymoon, a solo trip, a group tour, or a family vacation, you should take the time to explore the island beyond the beach and your hotel or resort. It’ll be worthwhile!
This page will provide you with plenty of ideas for interesting, fun, and unique things to do in Mauritius. From historic sites and popular tourist attractions in Mauritius to the most incredible adventure activities that will make your stay absolutely unforgettable.
This fantastic section of s things to do in Mauritius will make you want to stay on this Indian Ocean island for a few weeks longer… Continue reading.
1. Tour Mauritius' Capital city, Port Louis
The capital is the island’s most appealing town. Here, you can visit the colourful and bustling markets to get a taste of local life. You’ll be stunned at the sheer variety of fruits, vegetables, fish and spices that are available in the Central Market of Port Louis. Watch the local hawkers at work and buy souvenirs! Other top things to do in Port Louis include:
- Visiting the Blue Penny Museum to understand the history of the region
- Tasting the delicious local street food of Mauritius
- Discovering the hidden spots of the capital that only locals know about
- Learning about Mauritius history and how the different cultures have influenced the local food
- Meet food vendors and hear their stories
- Touring Casela World of Adventures in Cascavelle
2. Have the ultimate resort experience
If your main reason for visiting Mauritius is to relaxing by the sea, the country’s beach resorts are unrivaled. Some resorts in Mauritius are the pinnacle of exclusivity.
If you are staying at one of these lavish properties on a honeymoon or luxury getaway, you might not want to leave the resort grounds.
Other resorts are fantastic for families, with kids clubs, water sports, and so much more. There will be plenty of resorts to select from no matter whatever secluded corner of the Mauritius Island you head to. Expect large luxurious rooms, multiple swimming pools, extensive gardens, world-class restaurants, planned activities and possibly a no-indulgence-spared spa.
3. Relax On The Beautiful Beaches Of Mauritius
The beaches of Mauritius have great reputation all over the world for their surreal beauty and natural landscapes. All of the resorts have them, but with over 1150 kilometres of spectacular coastline there is so much sand around that you are never far from a peaceful public beach where you can share the sea with picnicking local families rather than hordes of visiting tourists.
The richest choices are found along the east coast of Mauritius, but southern beaches are quieter and wilder and the west coast is far better for those looking for activity out on the water.
- Le Morne
- La Cuvette, Grand Baie
- Flic en Flac in western Mauritius
- Belle Mare Plage
- Île aux Cerfs
- Blue Bay
3. Cruises, Sailing and Water Tours
- Catamaran cruises
- Speed boat tour
- Dolphin Spotting And Whale Watching
- Swimming with dolphins
- Scuba diving
- Wind surfing
- Kite surfing
- Cave Sea Kayaking
- Deep See fishing
- Underwater Sea Walk
- Water skiing
- Submarine safari
- Sea Kart Ride
- Stand up paddle boarding
3. Explore Île aux Aigrettes
4. Head to the mountains of Chamarel
6. Sample authentic Creole Cuisine
8. Sample seafood by the sand
9. Visit Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Gardens
10. Hike the Black River Gorges
12. Hiking Le Morne Brabant
13. Go For Rodrigues Coastal Walk
14. Historical Tours
- Visit Sugar Museum And Factory
- Visit the international slave route monument
- Mauritius’s historic mansions
15. Cultural Tours
16. Waterfalls Tour
17. Sacred & Religius Sites Visits
- Visit the sacred lake at Grand Bassin/Ganga Talao
17. Quad Biking
18. Photography tours
FAQs about Things To Do In Mauritius
1. What Are The Best Places to Visit In Mauritius for free?
- Visit the Famous Ganga Talao, a spiritual place encircled by the beautiful jungle-like and mountainous scenery.
- Tour Port Louis, the capital city of Mauritius
- Visit the public beaches of Mauritius and witness the breathtaking sunset
- Black River Gorges for exciting hikes
2. What are the best things to do in Mauritius for couples?
- Enjoy Kayaking
- Enjoy Sunset At Riambel Beach
- Underwater Walk
- Sunset Catamaran Cruise