Luxury safaris Uganda tours or Uganda luxury safaris has so much more to offer than only gorillas, including typical savannah safaris. Tulambule ensures that you experience a luxury Uganda safari like no other – no matter what your preference, be it a romantic honeymoon, photographic safari or a family-friendly holiday that draws you to the Africa.
We have put together some luxury safaris in Uganda itineraries to give you some inspiration. All of our Uganda luxury safaris are customized and can be tailored to suit you. Our goal is to curate the ideal luxury safari for you. And with our friendly and expert Uganda safaris specialists, we are confident we will.
A Sample of The Top Luxury Uganda Safari Lodges
Uganda is served by a diverse network of accommodation, ranging from campsites and backpacker lodges to five-star hotels and world-class safari lodges. Here, we introduce you to some of our favorite luxury Uganda safari lodges and hotels and Uganda safari camps.
1. Buhoma Lodge
- Buhoma Lodge is one of only two lodges set within Bwindi- home of gorilla trekking.
- The lodge is situated a short walk from the trek briefing area.
- Accommodation consists of 10 forest-facing chalets, including a chalet for honeymooners or a family.
- But there is an age restriction on tracking gorillas. Trackers must be at least 15 years old.
- However, forest walks, birding and more besides are available to all!
- Common area features an elevated lounge, bar and dining area with uninterrupted views over the forest.
- The crackling fireplace adds a mystical atmosphere to cooler evenings.
2. Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge
- Bwindi Lodge also overlooks the primaeval Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- Accommodation consists of 10 spacious bandas, all with forest views
- The lodge has a relaxing lounge, dining area, bar, terrace, gift shop, and massage room
- It is situated close to the award-winning Bwindi Bar
- Activities include gorilla tracking, waterfall walks, Batwa experience, and tea farm tours
3. Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp
- Once-in-a-lifetime encounters with wild gorillas await when you stay at Gorilla Forest Camp.
- The camp is located inside the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- It blends in sensitively with the dramatic African mountain landscape.
- The camp is only minutes away from the start of your gorilla trekking adventure
- Due to its unique location, is frequently visited by gorilla families.
- It has 10 spacious tents, all with a personal attendant
- It also features open-plan lounge, bar, and dining area, plus gift shop and mini-spa
- Activities include gorilla tracking, forest walks, Batwa tribe experience, game drives
4. Crater Safari Lodge
- Crater Safari Lodge is located on the banks of the Nyinabulitwa Crater Lake.
- The lodge blends perfectly with its surrounding landscape
- It places safari-goers in prime position to trek for chimpanzees in Kibale National Park.
- Accommodation include thatched chalets with expansive wooden balconies
- Guests have the choice of staying in deluxe thatched chalets or pool facing standard cabana rooms.
- Rooms, whether deluxe or standard, provide the perfect luxurious escape.
- All accommodation has partial or full views of the tranquil Crater Lake and its pristine surrounds.
- Hammocks and garden swings on the grounds of the lodge add an extra element of tranquility
5. Mount Gahinga Lodge
- Mount Gahinga Lodge is nestled in the foothills of the Virunga Volcanoes.
- The lodge rests on the edge of Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in south-western Uganda.
- The park is home to mountain gorillas, rare golden monkeys and an atmospheric bamboo forests and
- It also features the sacred Ngarama Cave, which was once home to the king of the Batwa Pygmies.
- It has 8 unique hand built bandas, of which 6 are doubles and 2 are twins.
- Each banda faces the magical Virunga mountain range
6. Mihingo Lodge
- Mihingo Lodge is the best lodge in Lake Mburo National Park
- The lodge is a peaceful and secluded retreat.
- It consists of 12 tented rooms built on wooden platforms and stilts.
- It offers great views of the valley below with its lake and tranquil forests.
- The friendly staff will help you to book activities offered at the nearby Lake Mburo NP.
- Enjoy game drives, boat trips on the lake and morning game walks
- Mihingo Lodge supports the local community by training and employing local people.
7. Apoka Safari Lodge
- Apoka Safari Lodge is unquestionably the top safari lodge in northeast Uganda.
- The lodge stands on a rocky ridge overlooking a waterhole in Kidepo Valley National Park.
- Accommodation is in super-spacious chalets with canvas walls and private terraces
- There is there is a wonderful natural rock swimming pool, as well as a shady thatched dining area
- Best of all, Apoka is the perfect base for exploring a remote and relatively little-known park
8. Hotel NO.5 Entebbe
- Hotel No. 5 is a stylish and elegant boutique hotel.
- The hotel is a perfect for a restful overnight before or after exploring Uganda.
- It offers a tranquil and comfortable stay in the leafy suburb of Entebbe.
- You can enjoy all the amenities and creature comforts one expects from a 5-star hotel
- These include refreshing spa treatments and sunset cruises on Lake Victoria.
9. Kyambura Gorge Lodge
- Kyambura Gorge Lodge is located on a former coffee plantation at the foot of the Rwenzori Mountains
- It has stunning views of the forested Kyambura Gorge and sits on the edge of Queen Elizabeth NP
- The upscale lodge is warm and inviting.
- While here, you’re able to track chimpanzees and have a classic safari experience
10. Lemala Wildwaters Lodge
- Wildwaters Lodge is an African Eden.
- It consists of 10 spacious suites lie on an island in the middle of the Nile River.
- It is accessible only by boat.
- Most travellers use Wildwaters as their base as they spend a couple of days doing adrenaline activities around the Jinja area
- These include kayaking, white-water rafting, horse riding, quad biking, bungee jumping, tubing, fishing…
What Is Included In Luxury Safaris Uganda?
Uganda is following the trend of all-inclusive luxury safari packages that includes all meals, activities, drinks and laundry. Some Uganda safaris lodges even provide complimentary massage to help you relax you after a day out on the bumpy roads in the parks.
Check in advance for details of what is and is not included, in order to avoid unforeseen expenses while on the road. Tips are never included and they can add up.
There are many people involved in making your luxury safari memorable. As well as the staff at the lodges and your driver guide, there will be porters, park guides and trackers to tip as well.
Your tour operator can advise you on the recommended amounts, but a general tipping guideline for the guide is $10-15 per person per day.
Are Gorillas The Highlight Of A Uganda Luxury Safari?
Gorilla trekking is the highlight of most travellers’ luxury safaris Uganda.
It is an adventure not to be missed and the primary reason most people visit Uganda.
In recent years, Uganda gorilla safaris has received a lot of publicity is one of the highlights of African safaris. Most budget Uganda safaris travelers and even backpackers will fork out a relatively high price for this once-in-a-lifetime wildlife viewing experience.
As there are several gorilla families in Uganda, and each visit tends to be unique, you may want to consider doing two gorilla treks in Uganda.
The composition of all the gorilla family groups is different as well. Some families have more than one silverback gorillas and some have a lot of babies. The two national parks in Uganda that offer gorilla trekking have a very different feel.
A Typical Day On A Luxury Safari In Uganda
The diversity of habitats in Uganda makes for a well-rounded safari experience, with wildlife safari game drives, boat cruises, mountain climbing, water rafting, sport fishing, and forest treks.
There is not really a typical day, since it depends on the safari activities planned. A day on safari in one of the savannah game parks usually begins with a wake-up call before sunrise or daybreak.
Following a steaming cup of coffee, you will be on your way to look for the big cats and other predator animals. You could return to the lodge mid-morning for brunch. During the midday heat, you will have the opportunity to relax in your comfortable luxurious surroundings.
Then you will go out again wildlife game viewing on the savannah plains an afternoon drive, or maybe a safari boat cruise. On other days, you may take a day excursion into the park to reach interesting wildlife areas further away from your lodge. The days in the rainforest, where chimpanzee and gorilla trekking are the primary activities, will be different.
You will usually depart for the trekking after breakfast and return to your lodge or camp for a late lunch. After a morning clambering around slippery forest slopes, you usually spend the rest of the day at leisure.
What Are The Costs Of Luxury Safaris Uganda?
For luxury safaris Uganda holiday, you should budget a starting price of US$550 per person per day. But, this is just an approximation since it is difficult to put an actual figure on the cost of a Uganda luxury safari due to many facts. This luxury Uganda safari price obviously depends on a lot of variables, and most luxury Uganda tours are tailor-made.
Some of the national game parks and lodges in Uganda are quite remote and your luxury safari will probably will likely include a combination of driving and flying. The parks do not lend themselves to mass tourism, and while this is part of the appeal, it bumps up the cost of luxury safaris Uganda package.
There are some hidden costs on a luxury safari, such as tips for rangers and guides and fees for optional activities. Accommodation, park fees, transportation, a tour guide, and three daily meals are often included. Depending on the trip package, beverages may be included.
Please be mindful that gratuities and tips for guides add up. A general guideline is $10 to $15 per person per day. On a luxury safari some people tip even more.
Best Time To Go On Luxury Safaris Uganda Tours
Generally, the best time to go on luxury safaris Uganda tours is between June to August and December to February, which is during the dry seasons.
This is when wildlife gathers around the rapidly decreasing waterholes. Once the rain comes, the animals start to scatter. Primate trekking in the forest is a big part of any safari in Uganda. This is also best don in the dry seasons.
However, it is very possible to visit the “Pearl of Africa” even though it is rainy season. Laying on the equator, Uganda has pleasant weather all year around. Read More: Best Time To Visit Uganda
Final Thought On Luxury Uganda Safaris
When it comes to choosing the ideal safari to Uganda, the answer depends on your preferences, needs, and budget. As shared above, there are plenty of options to accommodate all budgets and interests. From tent camps to luxury Uganda safari lodges, game drives to hikes in the forest jungle; Uganda can cater to everyone’s wishes and guarantees an experience you’ll not soon forget.
Even if you are on a tight budget, you can still have an amazing safari experience in Uganda by choosing to stay in a tent, cheap Uganda safari lodges or visiting affordable national parks.
Read More: Budget Uganda Safaris